Okay, so maybe “you won’t believe” is a bit strong here, but you’re still reading, aren’t you? ;)
Whether it’s an email subject, a blog post headline, or an article title, writing a pithy intro is essential to enticing your reader to move forward and dig in.
Here are five buzzy headline styles you might try out in your communications.
1. Make It an Inside Job
Find ways to communicate that you really, really know your reader.
Trying to catch the attention of a graphic designer? Make a joke about Comic Sans. (Seriously, Comic Sans drives them crazy. Crazy!)
2. Drop a Cliffhanger
Keep your reader guessing and they’ll stick around.
- 7 things nobody tells you about retirement planning.
- We [did this one thing] and you wouldn’t believe what we found out.
- Surprising new research may change what you think about red wine.
3. Make Their Lives Better
Can you relate your service or product directly to a major pain point in your customers’ lives?
- 5 yoga poses that relieve back pain.
- The trick to getting your baby to sleep through the night.
- Cook a week’s worth of dinners with just 9 ingredients.
4. Ask a Question
Do you know why ___?
5. Make an Offer
If your prospects aren’t ready to buy yet, consider offering them something of value to encourage them to engage with your business. Think: Free report reveals 31 ways to __.
What will you write today?